Holocaust Scroll #1468
On Loan to Temple Sinai from the Memorial Scrolls Trust of London, England
In 1942 the Nazi occupiers of Czechoslovakia directed that the contents of the country’s synagogues be sent to the Jewish Museum of Prague. Hundreds of Torah scrolls, along with large inventories of gold, silver, and textiles artifacts were accumulated at the museum.
At war’s end Czechoslovakia became a free and independent country, only to then come under Communist control in 1948. The almost 1600 warehoused scrolls were left neglected until 1964 when a London philanthropist, Ralph Yablon, purchased them. At that time,1564 Holocaust scrolls came to London, England.
The Memorial Scrolls Trust was established at that time to ensure that these scrolls would become part of the life of Jewish congregations across the world. Many congregations around the globe are in possession of one of these Torahs.
In 1995, Scroll #1468 was entrusted to Temple Sinai of Stamford, CT. This scroll is from an unknown town in Bohemia or Moravia. It is prominently displayed in an enclosed glass cabinet at the entrance to our sanctuary. We are the keepers of this scroll, and it is our duty to ensure that it remains a memorial to the community that once looked upon it as central to its worship and ritual life.
Here you will find information about the goals and activities of the Memorial Scrolls Trust of London, England. We are proud to serve as the caretakers of Scroll #1468 and the legacy it represents.